Netflix has double billed me for a year and won't refund the money!

440 of 857 Netflix reviews

I was reviewing my charge history for the past year as I was doing my taxes.I found that I had been charged twice a month for Netflix.

I went online to chat and have it refunded. I spent 40 minutes and finally spoke with a supposed manager. I was told I needed to call netflix and give them a reference number, then they would do a 3-way call with my credit card company and authorize some kind of a reverse transaction. I called the netflix number and gave the guy the reference number as I was told.

The rep who answered said that was crazy because they only refund for the previous month. I cancelled Netflix when they split the dvds and instant for double cost. Never should have re-signed for the instant streaming.

Use Amazon prime.They have way better movies available anyway.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.

More Review Details

Helpful? 10 Yes 10 4 No 4
Had the same issue 48 Yes 48
440 of 857 Netflix reviews

Mar 15, 2016 #1127800

Seems like this is a NETFLIX business practice. Instead of unique customer account numbers of which an e-mail is a form of contact or perhaps a login, the e-mail is the account.
Hello NETFLIX, it is SLIMY and a DECEPTIVE business practice designed to intentionally deceived consumers for the sole purpose of generating fees.
My credit card provider switched – resulting in new credit card being issued. When NETFLIX contacted me about the failure to process, I updated my e-mail address to my new and current e-mail address.
Surprise, I’m now seeing that NETFLIX created another account. So they updated the CC information in the “original” account (hence the reason it continued to charge on the 5th of the month) and created a new account as a result of updating the e-mail address associated with my “original account” (which charges at the end of the month). What the heck.
They are able to refund me one month and close one of the accounts.
If I were NETFLIX, why change? It has to be worth millions. They claim to have 60 million customers. What %age are actually zombies? They can change your fees by requiring that you close your account as your e-mail changes. Remember, changing your e-mail is surprise a new account. If I were a litigator, I would see what if any angle I could approach from a class action law suit for deceptive business practices. NETFLIX knows exactly what it is doing. In fact, their system can link accounts with the same contact and
... Show more

2 0 Reply

Jan 14, 2016 #1094597

Netflix didn't double bill you, you simply setup two accounts and waited years to call in about.
It its not netflix's job to manage your account they just react when you call
Its true that there is a limit on credits we also cannot issue credits if there are more than 2 hours of viewing history.
Its largely misunderstood that netflix somehow is responsible because people make multiple accounts with the same payment method then later get up like we put them in this position?
At the end of the day netflix isn't the agressor its you, your best options would be to fight the charges with the bank or call it a loss.
Source : Former Supervisor at Netflix

2 9 Reply

Aug 14, 2015 #1019688

I switched credit cards and informed Netflix.
They continued to charge me on both cards I tried to get a refund. (I have 1 TV, but they had 2 email addresses and used this to deny a refund for any more than 3 months, as if that justified 2 accounts!)
BE VERY CAREFUL THEY WILL KEEP CHARGING YOU ON BOTH CARDS even if you switch cards.
Slimey!

Mar 18, 2015 #960269

Same thing happened to me. Called last May to change e-mail on my account....single account. So I assumed I only had one account now with a new e-mail address... well no they didn't close the first one. I just ended up with two. How was I supposed to know or be responsible for the fact they they never closed access to the first e-mail as a separate account. That was not what my request was for. So they had been billing me at both my original amt. of 7.99 a month and then 8.99 a month for almost a year for two accounts but as far as I know, and what my request was to them, I only intended and wanted to have one account. They told me over the phone that they would only give me one month refund. What a scam. Cancelled my account. Really pathetic considering I was a paying customer since 2011.

Eric

Nov 29, 2014 #907793

Consumer is an ***. Had multiple devices across two different accounts and didn't know the other account was still active. Here's a tip, check your bank account statements every month, ***.

0 8 Reply

Sep 26, 2014 #875901

I guess this is rather old now, so maybe commenting is irrelevant, but this is a terrible complaint. The reason for the double charging is clear on the first screen of the transcript. The person had 2 accounts that were active on different devices for a full year. Right there the plaintiff is in the wrong! Is that not obvious?? The mere fact that Netflix customer service still tried to get their refund is a courtesy.
All throughout the rest of the transcript the reps are telling him/her exactly what needs to be done, why it has to be done that way, and even provides alternative methods to get it done (that is, to get the refund that isn't warranted). Yet the customer doesn't listen to any of it, throws their arms up (figuratively) in frustration and self-indignation, and pouts off to the Internet.

6 4 Reply
trumpetman

Sep 26, 2014 #875883 Denver, Colorado, United States

I have also been charged twice a month for over a year! I cannot get them to stop this!

2 1 Reply
Mitch

Sep 18, 2014 #872042 Sneads, Florida, United States

If you would like to sue these SOBs and get your money back email me at lmitchell2053@gmail.com

2 1 Reply
Mitch

Sep 18, 2014 #872040 Sneads, Florida, United States

Yes I had the same problem and was double billed by Netflix. When I called a Manager ??????????????? said they could only refund one month. The problem was that I had old Netflix account on a now non existant email. that Netflix restarted when I called in and gave them a credit card number to restart my account. now I had two Netflix accounts and was paying two X $8.66 = 17.32 for one service. Netflix admits that's what happened but says they won't refund the extra money I paid them.

2 0 Reply
netflix thief

Sep 04, 2014 #865592

I just check my bank statement and found out I was double charged. That doesn't sit well with me. I guess I will have to cancel and go with an alternative.

Laserus

Aug 29, 2014 #863249 Dallas, Texas, United States

Same thing here,they charged from 2 different emails for like a year! And they can see i didnt watch any movies.They said they could only give me a one month refund to my card.I haven't gotten it yet.

cpt kimalle

Aug 12, 2014 #855429 Rovaniemi, Lapland, Finland

same here... few months ago they charged me 2 times on same month.. well it was 16€ so i didn't care.. i raised my middle finger and chaged to Viaplay

Violeta

Aug 09, 2014 #853737

Same issue here. What a terrible model for business. Amazon has much better customer service. I canceled my account with netfilx

Aug 07, 2014 #852593

Same thing here but was only refunded a month. We had an old account years ago and streamed through the WII and closed that account. My daughter signed herself up using her own card. She started to use the WII and it automatically figured I was restarting my service. It started billing her for her account and my old account. Both on her debit card. She didn't look at her bank statement until today. Six months of double billing. Her netflix account doesn't show two billing each month. A lesson for a hard working teenager to always check your bank statements.
After talking to customer service I was informed that I need to erase all data on the WII when I cancelled my account. This we had no clue we needed to do.

wendy

Jul 31, 2014 #849004

I just checked my paypal account and found the same billing. called the number and theyrefunded the extra charges (two months) because it had billed to two separate email accounts (which I had done by accident from my ipad when I had forgotten my password) SOOOO in my case it was an honest mistake and they were very gracious and prompt in rectifying the error.

ffttflesh3

Jul 01, 2014 #834338

How did you cancel when they split DVD's and streaming? Because when they did that, they separated the subscriptions for both services. Instead of cancelling both services by cancelling the entire account just one time, after the split, you had to cancel both services individually. So you had to log onto Netflix, cancel your streaming account. Log back on, then cancel your DVD account. If you only cancelled one, of course you are still going to be billed for the other. It was in their Terms of Service when the change was done, that is probably something you should always read when money is involved, or a major change to the service is made.
Also, did you not notice being charged every month while browsing your online banking statements? Your money is important, and it is the consumers responsibility to check what you are being charged for, and fix it when you shouldn't have been charged. If you failed to check your account for an entire year, then expected to get your money back, that is your fault.
When you pay for Netflix, what you are paying for, is unlimited access to log on, and stream whatever titles they have for as long as you want. If you choose not to use the service for a few months, you still had access to the site, even if you chose not to use it, which is what you are paying for. Even if you don't use is, you still pay the Subscriptions. It works just like a Gym membership or paying for Storage.
The Netflix agents are doing what they are trained to
... Show more

3 2 Reply

May 15, 2014 #815647 Oslo, Oslo, Norway

I am having the same problem right now, and while checking the billing details, I see that one of the payments has been going to netflix with the "www." and ".com" and the other simply to netflix ".com". I don't know if that's relevant, but to me it does seem kind of suspicious.
(comments don't like whole links, apparently)

Lee

May 14, 2014 #815385

The same thing happened to me if you have more than on email that's what they do. I called my credit card company and the woman I talked to had the same thing happen to her. She was only able to go back 120 days. It's a scam and to bad because I liked Netflix. Lets be LOUD so they can be shown for the thieves I believe :( they are.

3 2 Reply
ffttflesh3

May 16, 2014 #816028

How is it a scam? You are implying that Netflix is maliciously creating a 2nd account for you, using your information? Is that what you are saying?

1 1 Reply
DMAN

May 18, 2014 #816414

Not to disrespect but thats a bad mentality to have Netflix doesn't just get your other email address you actually signed up a second time starting up a new account and you put all of your information again its up to you to be a responsible adult and close one account if you don't need it.

3 0 Reply

1-20 of 48 comments

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.