Boston, Massachusetts
10.5K views

I was reviewing my charge history for the past year as I was doing my taxes. I found that I had been charged twice a month for Netflix.

I went online to chat and have it refunded. I spent 40 minutes and finally spoke with a supposed manager. I was told I needed to call netflix and give them a reference number, then they would do a 3-way call with my credit card company and authorize some kind of a reverse transaction. I called the netflix number and gave the guy the reference number as I was told.

The rep who answered said that was crazy because they only refund for the previous month. I cancelled Netflix when they split the dvds and instant for double cost. Never should have re-signed for the instant streaming.

Use Amazon prime. They have way better movies available anyway.

Product or Service Mentioned: Netflix Streaming Service.

Comments

I’ve been double charged for the last 3 months but disputed them with my credit card. Hopefully I have better luck with them as the customer service person said the credit back button was grayed out. The funny part is Netflix then told me my card was compromised which it wasn’t and when I asked why the second charge didn’t have taxes charged with it they had no answers.

Just spent 3 hours on the phone with Netflix and filing a dispute with paypal. June of 2018 I couldn't sign into my account, called and they helped me set up a new email/password (which apparently gives you a new account) but they failed to cancel the old one so all this time they have been double billing me!

They say they have no record of me calling and officially closing the old email account but do show me changing my email thus giving me 2 active accounts.

Nothing they can do, I have to take it up with paypal. Granted I should have noticed before now but what a scam!!

@Anonymous

I would like to take this further but the so called supervisor said that was the end of the road. Anyone have any luck pursuing this?

#1720219

Do they keep the account on computers cause I called Netflix to tell them they were charging twice an they told me to call my bank an my bank said they don’t see the error on my statement it’s not fair an if this problems is not fix I’m gonna have to report them they been charging me for a few months

Britten

I have had the same problem with proof on paypal for 2+ years. I caught the problem with go daddy book keeping.

All they would do is refund back 6 months. paypal would also do nothing. this is a netflix scam. the first scam month was a triple bill then a double bill.

netflix said they had a second account billing to my paypal, but would not tell me the account--total bs... when the billing jumped to 17 on my main account the other account remained at the old 14.97...

I think this was a netflix accounting glitch. If anyone files a suit on this email me at rhungerford@gmail.com

@Britten

100% same deal. I caught this 8 months into it.

40 min in chat that I got a 6 moth refund...

They claim there is another account billing to my CC but won't give any info. Complete scam.

Can’t believe they double charged me all of last year. Total of $84 dollars from what I’m able to see.

Only got this years past 2 months refunded. What in the actual F.

I was charged 14.00 I called spoke with a rep she asked me what my card info was but not my name then she told me there is no account that would charge it because the old one is deactivated so I asked what the email was that was associated and she said she couldn't tell me I'm currently in the process of talking to a lawyer about this...

fast forward to 2019 Same problem with my acc They have been dbl dipping my bank acc and my AMX account Refunding one month Loss of $50

NETFLIX THIEVES DOUBLE CHARGED MY ACCOUNT ..LOOKS LIKE I AM NOT ALONE! THEY LET AN EMAIL THAT WAS ENTERED WRONG TO BECOME ACTIVE!!

WHEN I ENTERED THE CORRECT EMAIL WITHOUT ANY SIGN THAT THE WRONG EMAIL WAS REJECTED, I ENTERED A NEW EMAIL AND I HAVE BEEN CHARGED FOR 2 YEARS FOR TWO ACCOUNTS. I DO NOT USE THAT EMAIL ACCOUNT ANYMORE AND WOULD NEVER FOUND OUT IF I DID NOT CHECK MY PAYPAL ACCOUNT. EXTORTION PERSONIFIED.

HOW LONG WILL YOU CONTINUE TO STEAL FROM PEOPLE NETFLIX THIEVES? IF IT SOUNDS LIKE I AM YELLING, ITS BECAUSE I AM.

@JOE NORTH HUDSON NJ

I’ve had the same experience which I discovered only yesterday while going through my credit card bill details. I’ve been double charged from October 2017 till October 2018 - once on the 13th of the month and again on the 16th of every month.

I had opened my Netflix account on 16th September 2017 and was charged only for that one Netflix transaction in that month. On chatting with Netflix i was told that i had opened two accounts, one of them with the email address ending with hotmail.cm instead of hotmail.com. After opening my account on 16th Sept with my correct email id I can’t fathom why I would have tried to open another account on the 13th of the following month again! In any case when you open your account for the first time you need to make the payment by credit card.

I don’t know whether one can make a credit card payment with a wrong/non-existent email id. There is something definitely wrong with the Netflix billing system if such a thing can happen.

Discovered today that Netflix has been double-billing me for the last year. Contacted them and they just say, "It isn't us!

The second charge must be someone else." Totally unhelpful and both charges are identical. I truly doubt some fraudster has been able to pull money out of my account as "Netflix" for the last year.

Filed a dispute with my bank, but can only (understandably) dispute the charges over the last 60 days. Going to be watching my statements like a hawk this month.

Suraiya

I literally only found out today Netflix split the dvds and instant for double cost, when I signed up originally it was all one much cheaper charge. It was on my mom's card so I never personally saw the charges, my mom just assumed the other charge was my brother this whole time.

It was just today when talking to her I realized it didn't add up and I pulled up my account to check. I am absolutely FURIOUS. This is NOT what we signed up for. I never heard anything about the split, a nice big obvious message on the site itself might have helped but it just happened entirely without my knowledge behind my back.

Split into two without our knowing and charged more without our permission. This is flat out thievery!

Suraiya
@Suraiya

*** even evil *** Comcast sends us something to tell us flat out their raising our rates instead of doing it secretly behind our backs.

This is many times when this happens to people, and it is very easy for people to set up a second netflix account. They either type there email in wrong at the first sign up and then end up creating another account when trying to sign in to something else, or the clicks yes when asked about the dvds, or its fraduant charges.

No one wants to admit they they made a mistake but netflix can not set account up for people. They can also refun all of your money on that second account as long as there has been past activity on that account. You can see all of you netflix information on the your account page. I ran into the same issue and wanted to sue but my lawyer spoke with some one at netflix for this and there was nothing that we can do because it was traced back to my ip adress.

If you really think netflix wringed you, either pay more attention you your bank account that way it doesn't happen for two year or what ever time fram, or call your lawyer and try to sue then but I can tell you that's one battle that you will not win so you would waste money. You can also chose not to go to netflix.

Kameren

Netflix strikes again!!!!! Netflix has double and triple charged me for 18 months...Called several times and as always a third world country rep answers and will not route you to the states....I called Bank Of America and got it taken care of.....This is clearly fraud and Netflix and Bank of America know this to be a fact.......DO NOT CALL NETFLIX CALL YOUR BANK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I discovered Netflix has double billed me for the last 4 months. trying to uninstall but can't, same problem, goodbye Netflix.

@ron guest

Make sure you cancel it first uninstalling does not stop charges.

Seems like this is a NETFLIX business practice. Instead of unique customer account numbers of which an e-mail is a form of contact or perhaps a login, the e-mail is the account.

Hello NETFLIX, it is SLIMY and a DECEPTIVE business practice designed to intentionally deceived consumers for the sole purpose of generating fees.

My credit card provider switched – resulting in new credit card being issued. When NETFLIX contacted me about the failure to process, I updated my e-mail address to my new and current e-mail address.

Surprise, I’m now seeing that NETFLIX created another account.

So they updated the CC information in the “original” account (hence the reason it continued to charge on the 5th of the month) and created a new account as a result of updating the e-mail address associated with my “original account” (which charges at the end of the month). What the heck.

They are able to refund me one month and close one of the accounts.

If I were NETFLIX, why change? It has to be worth millions. They claim to have 60 million customers.

What %age are actually zombies? They can change your fees by requiring that you close your account as your e-mail changes. Remember, changing your e-mail is surprise a new account. If I were a litigator, I would see what if any angle I could approach from a class action law suit for deceptive business practices.

NETFLIX knows exactly what it is doing. In fact, their system can link accounts with the same contact and payment information. How do I know this?? NETFLIX was able to do this on the phone as it was NETFLIX who alerted me to the fact that there was a billing as a result of the “zombie” e-mail.

If their system is able to do this, then they are clearly aware of issue and perpetrate the deception as a matter of business practice BTW – I was told that it was not possible for NETFLIX to have customer account numbers instead of e-mail addresses as they are a streaming service and have 60 million customers. Not that I like ATT, but it has almost 135 million cellular customers and has no problem issuing account numbers that remain unchanged irrespective of the e-mail updates.

@Anonymous

I just found out 2 days ago that Netflix has been double billing me, I had forgot my password on my email address at yahoo, and couldn't make a ne one cos they send the info to get your password at the email I can't remember the password at...so I changed my email address with Netflix, they reimbursed me 3 months X $11.81 a month and told me I need to get the bank to reimburse me any other money owed to mw. I called Chase bank today and they told me I had indeed been getting double billed back to April 2017 at $10.74 a month..I could sure use that $100 bucks they stole from me, now the bank says I have to write a letter and file a dispute with them to maybe get the money that's been stole from me..what a mess